Friday, November 28, 2008

In all seriousness …

I’ve had a lot of fun writing this blog from the perspective of my cute little turtle, but I’d like to take over the writing for this final post to say, in all seriousness, that Learn and Play has been a very positive experience for me. One of the top benefits of the program for me was learning about GoogleDocs. As a result of what I have learned, I use GoogleDocs -- along with two others in my group of researchers at Ohio State -- to post our fieldnotes, jottings, and reflections on GoogleDocs to make our research more collaborative and more systematic. It’s been working really well for us! Another great experience was learning about delicious.com. I use this bookmarking site all the time now, and it is such an improvement over the 1000 bookmarks on my laptop that I can never seem to remember when I’m away from home. I’ve bookmarked a variety of sites, such as cheap textbook sites, websites related to my research, and great resources for taking care of my turtle! Another thing I use all the time is pbwiki. I’ve actually decided to create a wiki to write one of my final papers for the quarter. I love being able to add different pages for quotations, brainstorming an outline, rough drafts of different sections – all with the understanding that this is just a wiki and therefore always in draft (not to mention always available now for my peers to comment on). It’s less daunting than an empty screen of Microsoft Word, and I love being able to move around the various pages. Finally, I must add that I absolutely adore Zoho, which I found during the week of the Web 2.0 awards searching. I’ve created an online to-do list, which is perfect for me! In the past, I’d make tons of lists but never be able to find them. Now it’s all there for me to see with one click of the button. Slowly but surely, I’m becoming more organized.

In short, Web 2.0 has so much to offer, which I had some minimal knowledge about in the past but had never really taken the time to explore. I feel that this program has given me a chance to really put some of these new practices to use, and I’m so glad that you’ve offered us this opportunity. I would love to participate in more Web 2.0 learning opportunities in the future! Please keep them coming!